Sunday, September 15, 2013

Planning for Classroom Literacy Events

Inspired by @GigiMcAreads post at The Late Bloomer"s Book Blog, I decided to list literacy events that I do in my classroom.

Today is officially International Dot Day.  I will celebrate with my class this week by reading the book, making dot art and skyping with Mrs. Morgan's class from Texas.











We will participate in the Global Read Aloud once again this year.  It runs from September 30th to November 8th.  We will be reading Marty McGuire by Kate Messner.





Last year I organized a Mock Caldecott Awards for our second grades to participate in, and I will do the same this year.  We were able to watch the awards live, which was so exciting.  The ALA Youth Media Awards will be held on January 27, 2014.  I held our Mock Caldecott during January and we were very rushed, so I think I might start in November or December this year.




During November we read several versions of the folktale, Stone Soup.  We have a culminating celebration by making our own Stone Soup and enjoying a feast.  Parents come in and help the students cut veggies, cook the soup and prepare the serving tables.  We even do some folk dancing and collect canned food for our local food pantry.











Once again my class will participate in World Read Aloud Day which will be March 5, 2014.  Last year I invited parents to come in and read a favorite picture book to the class.  I had also planned a Skype with another school, but the weather caused us to cancel!  Hopefully this year I will be more successful.







Children's Book Week is May 12 - 18th.  Last year I organized our school's first Author Visit with Peter Brown.  It was a happy accident that it was during Children's Book Week.  I hope to invite another author this year and expand activities for this week long celebration of children's books.









April 18th is Poem in Your Pocket Day.  This will be a new event that I add to my classroom literacy events and celebrations!










What Literacy Events do you celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment