Monday, January 20, 2014

Its's Monday! What are you reading? #IMWAYR



Thanks to Jen at TeachMentorText  and Kellee at UnleashingReaders for the weekly meme highlighting children's literature - picture books to young adult.  Don't forget to visit their sites so you can see what everyone else is reading this week!



Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight written by Wendy Mass and Brawer

This is the first book in a new early chapter book series that I think young readers are sure to enjoy.  One night Archie goes to work with his dad and finds out he isn't an ordinary taxi-driver - he drives a Space Taxi.  Archie learns how to be his dad's co-pilot and is soon involved in helping solve some intergalactic crime.  The book is a little bit sci-fi and a little bit mystery.  I believe it will be available April 1st. I received the Advance Reader Copy from a parent who attended NCTE.


11 Experiments That Failed written by Jenny Offill and illustrated by Nancy Carpenter

The little girl in the story is very curious and full of questions, so she designs a series of experiments...which are hilarious.  Each section opens with a question and hypothesis, then goes on to explain what happened.  Needless to say things don't always work out the way the girl expects.  A very funny book that would be a great introduction to the scientific method.


The Candy Corn Contest by Patricia Reilly-Giff

Part of the Polk Street School series, this book continues the story of Richard Best, otherwise known as "The Beast".  In this story Beast struggles with his decision to invite Matthew to his sleepover, even though Matthew smells and is known to wet the bed.  Along the way Beast learns lessons about friendship and honesty.  I am currently trying to read a stack of books from my class library that never seem to circulate - this book is one of them.  Beast is starting to grow on me. You can read my review of another Polk Street Series book here.  I think Patricia Reilly-Giff has done a great job of creating a very believable character in Richard, "The Beast".  


I have read a lot of non-fiction this past week, so come back on Wednesday when I write about those books!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your nonfiction post! I also had a very heavy nonfiction reading week! Lots of fun. I am so excited to see this new chapter book series by Wendy Mass Will look for it for my classroom when it is released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up 11 Experiments at our school book fair and enjoyed it a lot. I look forward to seeing the nonfiction picture books.

    ReplyDelete