Monday, March 11, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading?


Thanks to Teach Mentor Text blog for their weekly inspirational meme.  Here's what I read this week.

Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin

I couldn't put this book down. It's sort of a combination history and mystery. It's the true story of the attempt to steal Abraham Lincoln's body from his tomb in Springfield, Illinois.

You had me at Lincoln! Since I was a little girl growing up in Illinois I have had an avid interest in Abraham Lincoln. (You know Illinois is the Land of Lincoln, and don't even get me started on my love of the penny.)

Steve Sheinkin has done some fine research for this novel. He is able to weave together a suspenseful story that doesn't let up until the end. The book reads like a novel, and I think fans of both fiction and non-fiction will enjoy it. It is considered in the young adult category, but I think it could make a great read aloud for 5th or 6th grade too.

Steve Sheinkin's book Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal the World's Most Dangerous Weapon will definitely be rising to the top of my TBR pile!

This week I continued to make my way through the Lunch Lady graphic series and have also read a couple more Frannie K. Stein books before I add them to my class library. They are very popular with my second graders this year. I really need to bump up my kid lit non-fiction reading too!

That's it for this week. What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this book. I recently finished Bomb and was amazed by Sheinkin's writing. I'll definitely add this book to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete